Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tomayto, Tomahto

So here I am, in Plymouth, England! I can't believe it! It was a long way here but I made it! Yesterday was our first day in the city, and after class and lunch we were able to explore out into the city, excuse me, "town!"

After taking our walking tour we ventured to the Metro supermarket to buy some food, we didn't get enough but I think it was because we felt so rushed, and there are SO many people rushing through to get in and get out, so we only grabbed some fruit and I bought some Swiss milk chocolate, I can't wait to enjoy that! Tara and I are going back today to get some more things, I don't think I will be able to eat out anymore after last night!

A group of us went out to eat at a fish 'n chips restaurant, we got a little confused on the way there because of the streets but we made it. We walked around trying to find a place that was pretty cheap, no such luck here! So we settled on a small fish n chips place that looked okay. The fish n chips were 5.20 pounds but everything IS expensive here! So we all settled on one thing, then when we received our food we decided to get sauce, it was funny that when Stephanie asked "what kind of sauce do you have?" the waiter got really confused and didn't understand what we meant...I then asked him "what sauces do you have?" and he understood that question and was able to tell us the types of sauce. I then said "tomayto", like we do in the U.S. I came to find out, but he replied back with "you mean tomahto?" and I had to reply with a small giggle and a yes. It is so interesting that although we speak the same language, it really is an entire different concept to speak English over here compared to back home. Some of the natives speak so fast I can't understand them, and JP told us that when we go to London, there will be ALL different kinds of dialects, great! :-) I feel like I can understand them the more I'm here, but it is funny that they would not be able to understand us. To them however, WE have an accent!

I was able to go out and get a camera charger today, and Tara and I walked around and took pictures for tomorrow's assignment. I have to edit mine first but will post it later on! I think it is a good representation of the adjective that I chose, which is simple, but yet can be complex in a picture if you think about it.

I enjoyed the discussion we had today in class about culture, and also the one on the first day. I think it is great to explore the different aspects of culture and really figure out WHAT IT IS, which is so many different things! I love the fact also that we have a small group and are able to discuss things easily without feeling overwhelmed with a bunch of people you don't know.

Another thing I will post about right quick is something that I was talking about to Tara the other day, the children here. They are very different than the children in the U.S. it seems, but at the same time not so much. They all hang out in groups I've noticed after school, and you don't see as many adults out at that time as you do kids. They all have school uniforms whenever I see them dressed up after school, so I'm assuming that they all have to wear school uniforms but as soon as they get home it's time to play! Another thing is that they are told to be very respectful here, and courteous, but as far as I've seen, they are just normal children, the older ones drop F-bombs like it is their job here! It's sort of funny but....the little ones are so cute with their accent! I love it!

No comments: